Handmade to Your Closet:
10 Reasons Why Your Wardrobe Needs Handmade Jewelry
Walk through any mall in America and you’ll see a treasure trove of jewelry. A kaleidoscopic array of baubles, bling and accessories cascade from every shop window, their inanimate voices practically screaming “buy me”! Trouble is, that while these pieces may look nice and the price may even be appealing, there are various hidden factors involved when making a purchase from a chain or department store. Poor quality and unethical working conditions is just the tip of the mass production iceberg, yet are factors that pleasantly disappear when you choose to buy handmade, and domestically crafted beaded jewelry. Choosing handmade accessories is a fashionable decision you can feel good about–read on to find out why.
Top 10 reasons why you should buy handmade today:
- Higher Quality. In general, handmade beaded jewelry is of more superb quality than mass produced items found in your typical chain store, thus handmade items tend to last longer and wear more gracefully. Artisans who craft their work in small batches place great care and consideration into each bracelet or necklace they create, ensuring an end product that will be a valuable addition to your collection for years to come.
- One of a kind. When you purchase handmade jewelry from a small artisan, you are guaranteed that the item you are wearing exists nowhere else on the planet. You can revel in the unique collection of beads that came together to create the specific piece you now treasure–a feeling you simply can’t capture with mass-produced jewelry from a chain store.
- Supporting small businesses. When you choose to buy domestically, you are investing in the American economy. Small business owners too often close their doors in the face of competing with products mass produced overseas. Don’t let this happen! Buy your beaded jewelry locally!
- Supporting the arts. Purchasing handmade beaded jewelry is an investment in the arts. Jewelry making has been a craft for thousands of years–from the ancient Egyptians to the Greeks and Romans–and it is still going strong today. Investing in handmade jewelry crafted by local artisans ensures this vibrant and beautiful skill is carried on through future generations.
Custom ordering means countless choices. Want a necklace made from your children’s birthstones? Need a pair of earring to match the bridesmaid’s dress for your best friend’s wedding? When you choose handmade beaded jewelry, the possibilities for design and color suddenly become infinite turning your beaded jewelry dreams into reality.
- Makes gift giving easy. Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, Christmas and birthdays suddenly become a lot simpler when you have a go to source for handcrafted beaded jewelry. From earrings to pendants, choose from an array of premade accessories or concoct a special gift of your own creation to dazzle your loved one.
- Repairs are a breeze. Chances are that your favorite piece of jewelry is probably going to get some wear and tear. With handcrafted jewelry, there is a good chance that you can return to the same artist for repairs–not likely with something you bought at the mall.
- A face and a name. Most of the time, it is impossible to know who creates the things we buy. So wouldn’t it be nice if on occasion you could put a face and a name to a product? When you buy from small artisans, each piece comes from the heart of the artist who created it, allowing you to feel more connected with the jewelry you choose to wear.
- More for your money. Sometimes the prices for mass produced items are cheaper than handmade items, while sometimes the opposite is true. But even if you do spend slightly more on a handcrafted item, the long-term quality you receive will be well worth the extra few dollars you shell out initially.
- Love and care. When an artisan handcrafts a piece of beaded jewelry, they are pouring into it their creativity, passion and love. So when the person who creates a work of art truly cares about the creative process, the beauty shines through uninhibited making a stunning piece of beaded jewelry that much more enviable.