The history of jewelry designs is fascinating. Past centuries of people created, traded, and wore incredible bracelets, necklaces, rings, and earrings. More importantly, they felt a need to protect their belongings hence why treasure seekers unearth so many items each year.
Five 20th century and 21st century archeological explorations that included jewelry were found:
- In a Stalactite Cave in Northern Israel: A team of spelunkers made a remarkable discovery of artifacts 2,300 years old and dating back to the era of Alexander the Great. Among the items found were silver rings, bracelets, and earrings. Further exploration uncovered treasures from 6,000 years ago. Experts found artifacts from the Chalcolithic period, Early Bronze Age, and Biblical period.
- Under a British Department Store: Under a building in Colchester in England, a wooden box and bag containing three gold armlets, a silver chain necklace, two silver bracelets, a silver armlet, and a small bag of coins were found. So was a small jewelry box. It contained two sets of gold earrings and four gold rings.
- On Anglesey in England: A metal detector found gold and copper pieces dating back to the Bronze Age. A gold hair ring and earring were found among other items scattered throughout the property. Buried together, the items moved when soil shifted so they were found several meters apart from one another.
- In Graves in Cumwhitton: A farmer's field yielded several pieces of jewelry and other personal items belonging to Vikings. A man with a metal detector made the rare discovery. Experts studied the artifacts for years before being put on display for others to see.
- At the 13th Century Site of Nimrud: Called the “Jewel of the Assyrian Era,” the ancient site held an impressive collection of gold jewelry, ornaments, and precious stones in a royal tomb. Discovered in 1988, experts refer to Nimrud as “one of the greatest archeological finds of the 20th”
Handcrafted jewelry withstands the test of time. Crafted with care, people hand quality jewelry pieces from one generation to the next with ease. The aforementioned hidden treasures pay testament to the skill level of their makers. The ancient jewelry found in archeological sites across the globe are now on display where people admire the bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and rings from years past.
To learn more about handcrafted beaded jewelry for modern times, contact us.